Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"Extraordinary Happiness," by Prateek Garg

I was about to come back from Nehru Place. I went there with my friend Amit for buying some stuff for him. Before this, we were in Okhla Industrial Area for a Sales and Distribution's project at an office of Cobra Beer's CnF's office.

I was tired, and at my best, the remaining guts inside me was to drive back to hostel till I see bed. As I was taking out my bike from the Parking of Nehru Place, I was obstructed by a middle aged man.

When you are tired, irritation takes over the better part of you. This is atleast true in my case. This shaky man with moist eyes looked like a drunkard to me. As I looked upon him angrily, he said, "Beta, Ek rupaya hai....". I looked at the man judging his attire. He looked like a respectable man from Upper Middle Class. Why the hell he needs 'Ek Rupya' from me? Perhaps, he may not be having change, but still, he was wasting my time and I ws getting very irritated.

I searched my pockets for a One Rupee coin. Unable to find one, I asked Amit who was waiting for us to make a move to give this man a One Rupee coin. As he found a coin in his pockets and passed it on to this man, I asked him out of curiousity if he needed it because of not having change coins.

To my surprise, my harmless question bursted him in tears. He was crying. I and Amit, looked at each other puzzled. I told myself to keep my mouth shut.

As he took the coin from Amit, he flipped it in the pocket of my shirt. Surprised Again! The anxiety was short lived as the man started speaking. Still crying, he said, "Beta, yeh ek rupaya meri taraf se Bhagwaan ko chada dena. My son has been admitted into Bhabha Atomic Research Institute. I have just got the news, and I dont have one rupee coin to devote to Him." As tears rolled down his eyes, he took out Rs. 500 notes from his pocket as a proof saying that he had upper denomination notes but did not have a single one rupee coin."

He was concerned with the ritual of devoting money in figures of One rupee plus a round figure. (Rs. 101, 201, 501 etc.)

We were surprised to see this man crying so badly in happiness. I wish I could explain what I was watching in words. I felt truly happy for the man and was deeply moved.

Inadvertently, I had a flash of my father's words and expectations in my mind. I wish I give him the similar happiness someday.

We congratulated him. He was still crying like a kid, but it was pleasing to see him cry. I told him that it is the time to celeberate and not cry. He showered his blessings on us. I don't know why but he gave us his address and started walking off, still crying. He did not care what people might be thinking of him. As he walked away, I could see him from far. He was talking to himself, and perhaps, still crying.

I and Amit were in trance. After about two minutes I kick started my bike.

On my way back, I spotted a temple where I devoted the same One Rupee coin to the almighty who gives us happiness in so little things. Yes, I was feeling very happy from inside. That Uncle had made my day. And was I tired?

Extraordinary Happiness... Becomes divine when shared...

Prateek Garg

4 comments:

Manoj Mehta said...

Very realistic and too emotional.

This is the first post i read from our college student.

Good narration and complete control on the flow of the incident.

Keep it up sir !

Unknown said...

this just made my day.

Unknown said...

This just made my day. Thank you so much. Thank you so much. This fictional happiness permeates into the spinning of the world and I like the way you're pushing it.

Love your hair; hope you win.

Preeti said...

I was just searching a word for extreme happiness on google and i found your article.. it touched my heart, i hope someday even i give this "extreme happiness" to my parents..

the way you described was really great..

keep it up.

Preeti Jain